Tuesday, February 28, 2012

(Ad)ed to Adsense, and Bring out yo Lent!

Okay, so I'm approved for AdSense, and even though this site gets less hits than something witty, I'll throw this out there; between now and Easter, I'll donate every penny earned through AdSense, and I'll even double it. The first charity that comes to mind is the Wounded Warrior Project, a charity that seeks to help...you guessed it, wounded warriors. Seriously a great cause, so click some ads and tell your friends! 

I don't have anything too crazy going on to write about, but seeing as how tomorrow's focus will be on my end of the month recap, I thought I'd take the time to go over the past week in my Lent "sacrifices". I had given up facebook, cursing, and red meat. And here we go!

1) My Swear Jar. Due to a lack of coinage (I use my debit card most of the time), I opted for a "swear stickynotejar" instead. And the results of the first three days were quite hellish, with me cursing about 30 times in three days. Even though I feel tech support should be liable for about 5 bucks of that, I'm the one keeping track...so $15 is now gone. This week has gone easier, with me catching myself only about 10 times in the past two days. I've decided to make that money go towards my usual Friday snack for my coworkers, but haven't told them; not that they'd goad me into cursing, though I'm sure some of them would LOVE some lobster for a snack. Then again...I would too.

2) Quitting Facebook. My account info was downloaded, I clicked delete, and then I got my notification that deletion would take place in about two weeks. I still get the urge to check it, I mean, as anyone in their mid-twenties knows, Facebook is such a powerful social tool that there are actual websites dedicated to people facing "Facebook addiction". Psychology Today even featured a blog about the "addiction". I'm not sure if that speaks more about how successful a service it is, or how lonely and disconnected we've become as a people. Perhaps a mixture of both?

In any case, addict or not, I seem to be doing okay. Google+ is a nice enough replacement so I get all the feeling of Facebook, but with none of the crippling desire to stay on it for hours, essentially doing nothing but talking about sitcoms and how I want new Arrested Development episodes (NOW!). What I'm trying to say is...Google+ is the methadone clinic for my Facebook addiction. I swear I'm not lonely or disconnected. :)

3) No meat-rouge. Again, this is so little of a problem for me at this point that it's laughable I even remember to do it. I did face some temptation when buying a frozen pizza since for some reason the grocery store stopped carrying my beloved buffalo chicken pizza, so I went for four cheese instead...I don't know if it's because of Home Alone, but cheese pizza just seems wrong to me. Luckily the other three cheeses pulled their weight. And mine.

As you can see, I'm also trying to adjust to whole format of blogging, so while my voice may be the same, I'm working more on the style and presentation to suit things a little bit better. I also spotted a local deal on horseback riding lessons, something I've been wanting to try for a while, so now that my finances are looking better, it's gonna be time to get out a little more.


No comments:

Post a Comment