Saturday, December 29, 2012

Digitize, Declutter, AND DESTROY! RAWRRR

I have a metric fuckton of books and CDs. I've always been an avid reader, and filled about two six foot tall bookshelves over the course of my life. And I've pretty much never re-read any of the books I own. But when I moved about six months ago, lugging giant boxes of books got me thinking that perhaps it's time to go through those and sell or donate the 90% of them that I have no intentions of ever looking at again, or even lending out.

As for CDs, I'm going to have a hard time letting them go. I have between 170-200 CDs, and even though I've mostly converted them to MP3s (lately, before I've even listened to the CD), I still can't seem to just let them go. I think in this instance, I might group some of them up as collages to hang on the wall, but otherwise sell them, which isn't likely to net me much money as the price of music is cheap as hell.

DVDs and BluRays? Yeah I have a really good amount of those too, but nowhere near the amount of CDs, and the availability of streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime have me thinking that its time to be selective about what I want to keep around,.

When it comes to this goal, I think the main thing I need to keep in mind is to avoid buying new books, CDs, and movies in physical forms, and stick to subscription services like Netflix and Amazon Prime (and spotify!), and when I want to buy something, use my Kindle and Google Play. And in the meantime, go through the slow process of figuring out what to do with my "relics".

I've decided that I'll keep one of those six foot bookshelves, my 100 CD tower, and my four foot tall movie shelf. Anything outside that limit is going to be sold or donated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment