Thursday, December 27, 2012

Losin Myself...or at least 25 pounds of it

I have a confession to make. I've been getting a little chubby. It started around the time of my eye surgery, when my runs became less frequent, and with the onset of football season, the holidays, the NaNoWriMo challenge, and an overabundance of excuses, I've gained about 10 or 15 pounds. Also the quitting smoking probably didn't help, but its lame to blame such a thing on that. And I'm no fan of the lame blame game.

So, figuring that I'm at around 200 pounds, my goal is to get down to 175 pounds. I'm about six feet tall, so that goal is right around where I should be, as far as the BMI goes (184 is the upper end of normal weight, 175 is a little closer to the middle end of that range)

What's the plan? Good question. The first step would seem to have a decent way to plot my progress. To that end, I will soon be purchasing (by the end of THIS year) a scale that connects to smart phone, which will allow me to play with the data more easily. Establishing that baseline will make it far easier for me to configure everything else, leading me to my next step.

Using a calorie counter. I think the app is actually called Calorie Counter or Fitness Counter or CaliFitness Funtime Awesomeo. Basically it's going to give me a rough estimate of how many calories I'm taking in and how many I'm burning each day. The idea here is not to get obsessive about it....at least not for the long term, but to get myself where I need to be, and know what kind of diet and routine work best to maintain it without depriving myself needlessly.

With a goal of about 25 pounds lost by the end of the year, I only need to lose half a pound a week, meaning I got time to see what works at what level. So what I'd like to do is start by cutting out and/or modifying as needed to keep the losses coming. And each week I'll give something new a try, especially once I get closer to my goal and losing the extra bits starts to get difficult.


No comments:

Post a Comment